Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Chile on the TravelHealthPro website.

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

International travel

If you plan to leave Chile, make sure you have not overstayed on your Chilean visa – this could affect your departure. If you have any concerns about visa renewal, visit the Chilean Immigration Office website for further information.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Chile.

Returning to the UK

Travelling from and returning to the UK

Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting.

You should contact local authorities for information on testing facilities (in Spanish, under the ‘Laboratories PCR SARS-CoV-2’ tab).

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Chile

The Chilean government provides coronavirus-related information on the Official COVID-19 Government website. Travellers arriving in Chile should be aware that local authorities frequently move municipalities (comunas) back and forth through the government “Stages Plan” (Paso a Paso) according to the level of COVID-19 restrictions in place. You should review the Chilean Government Paso a Paso website to check which stage your ‘comuna’ is in and if there are restrictions that might affect your travel plans.

Mobility Pass for interregional travel

The Chilean government allows Chileans, foreigner residents and foreigner visitors who have been vaccinated overseas to register for Chile’s Mobility Pass scheme (‘Pase de Movilidad’). Travellers (including children aged 12 and above) are required to hold a valid Mobility Pass for inter-regional travel. Children under the age of 12 must travel with an adult who must have a valid mobility pass.

In order to obtain a Mobility Pass, you must fulfil the eligibility criteria on the Chile Government’s MeVacuno website, where you will find more details on accepted vaccines and the process to apply for the Mobility Pass.

Chilean nationals and foreign residents need to enter the website with their clave unica/Chilean C.I. Foreign visitors can create an account with an email. After registering your vaccines, and once approved, a mobility pass with a QR code will be issued.

For details about using the Mobility Pass to transfer to a domestic flight after arriving in Chile, see the ‘Entry requirements’ section.

Public places and services

You must wear a facemask in all public places, maintain social distancing at all times and self-isolate immediately if you suspect you have been in contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case.

You will be asked to show your Mobility Pass (‘Pase de Movilidad’) to access public places such as bars, gastro bars, restaurants, cinemas, nightclubs, dance venues, concerts, casinos, bingo halls and leisure activities, as well as sports venues, amusement and theme parks, museums, and fairs.

Healthcare in Chile

If you present COVID-19 symptoms while in Chile, you should review the following website – Tengo Covid and call the Health Ministry’s COVID-19 hotline on 800 371 900. For further advice and information you can call the general Health Ministry’s COVID-19 hotline on 600 360 7777 (Spanish only), and check the Ministry of Health (Ministerio de Salud) website.

If you test positive for COVID-19 in Chile before returning to the UK

If you receive a positive COVID-19 test in country, you should seek medical assistance by contacting either a public or private doctor to advise you on treatment and mandatory self-isolation measures, in private accommodation or a hotel of your choice.

For contact details for English speaking doctors providers. Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health.

View Health for further details on healthcare in Chile.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Chile

We will update this page when the Government of Chile announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Chilean national vaccination programme started in December 2020 and is using the Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinovac, CanSino and AstraZeneca vaccines. The Government of Chile has stated that British nationals resident in Chile are eligible for vaccination if they choose to join the programme, however tourists are not included. Further information is available on the Chilean Government website (in Spanish). Resident Foreign Nationals can apply for their vaccine according to the schedule on the Chilean Government website (key workers, the elderly and those with underlying health conditions have been prioritised). Vaccination in Chile is voluntary and free of charge. Resident foreign nationals must present proof of their resident status.

The Chilean vaccination programme also permits residents aged 12-17 to register for a Pfizer-BioNTech vaccination and those aged 3-11 to register for a SinoVac vaccination.

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad.

If you’re a British national living in Chile, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.

Further information

If you need urgent consular assistance, you can contact the British Embassy on +56223704100, pressing 1 for English and then follow the instructions.