Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Hong Kong on the TravelHealthPro website

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Hong Kong.

Returning to the UK

Travelling from and returning to the UK

Check what you must do to travel abroad and return to England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting. If you will pass through a red list country, book your hotel quarantine package before travelling to the UK.

You are responsible for organising your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK government testing requirements. You should contact local authorities for information on testing facilities. A test can also be booked at one of the Government’s Community Testing Centres.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Hong Kong

There are local travel restrictions in place upon arrival in Hong Kong including mandatory quarantine.

Following the detection of the Omicron Covid-19 variant in Hong Kong, restrictions have been placed on the operations of restaurants, bars, schools, museums and a number of other public places. Further details can be found on the Hong Kong SAR Government’s website

Use of the Hong Kong SAR Government’s LeaveHomeSafe contact tracing application is mandatory for those visiting Government premises and a number of entertainment venues, including cinemas, restaurants and theme parks.. Further details can be found on the [LeaveHomeSafe website](

From 24 February, proof of vaccination against COVID-19 will be required to enter a range of venues, including restaurants, gyms, swimming pools and hotels. Those who are under 12, or deemed medically unfit for vaccination, will be exempt from these requirements. Further details can be found on the Hong Kong SAR Government’s website

It is possible that you may be mandatorily tested and/or placed in a government quarantine centre, if you are identified as a contact of someone who has tested positive for coronavirus.

The Hong Kong Government has announced that from mid-March all residents will be subject to a compulsory universal testing programme for COVID-19. Further details can be found on the Hong Kong SAR Government’s website.

Public spaces and services

Public gatherings have been restricted to a maximum of 2 people (members of the same household are exempt).

The government has also introduced a mandatory requirement to wear face masks in all public spaces, including on public transport. Failure to comply may result in a fine of up to 5000 HKD.

For up to date information, you should follow the guidance from the Hong Kong authorities.

Healthcare in Hong Kong

For contact details for English speaking doctors visit our list of healthcare providers.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health

View Health for further details on healthcare in Hong Kong.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Hong Kong

We will update this page when the Government of Hong Kong announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Hong Kong national vaccination programme started in February 2021 and is using the Pfizer-BioNTech and Sinovac vaccines. The SAR Government is currently rolling out a booster vaccination programme, the Government of Hong Kong has stated that British nationals resident in Hong Kong over the age of 12 are eligible for vaccination if they choose to join the programme. You should visit the SAR’s vaccination programme website for further details and information on how to book an appointment.

If you’re a British national living in Hong Kong, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad.

Hospital isolation

Individuals who test positive for COVID-19 are isolated in government facilities for 14 days. If the individual tests negative after 7 days and their home situation is suitable they may be discharged to complete their isolation at home. Individuals who continue to test positive after 14 days will remain in the facility until they test negative. Non-residents may be charged for their care.

You may be separated from your child if one of you tests positive for coronavirus. If a child has serious symptoms and is hospitalised in an ICU or paediatric ward, parents may not be allowed to see or visit their child for the duration. If this happens to you, you can call +(852) 2901 3000 for 24/7 urgent consular assistance.

Further information

If you need urgent consular assistance, you should contact your local British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephones numbers are available 24/7.