Coronavirus travel health

Check the latest information on risk from COVID-19 for Japan on the TravelHealthPro website

See the TravelHealthPro website for further advice on travel abroad and reducing spread of respiratory viruses during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Entry and borders

See Entry requirements to find out what you will need to do when you arrive in Japan.

Everyone should comply with the measures put in place in Japan to limit the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19).

Returning to the UK

Travelling from and returning to the UK

If you plan to pass through another country to return to the UK, check the travel advice for the country you’re transiting. If you will pass through a red list country, book your hotel quarantine package before travelling to the UK.

When you return, you must follow the rules for entering the UK.

You are responsible for organising your own COVID-19 test, in line with UK government testing requirements. You should contact local authorities for information on testing facilities.

Be prepared for your plans to change

No travel is risk-free during COVID. Countries may further restrict travel or bring in new rules at short notice, for example due to a new COVID-19 variant. Check with your travel company or airline for any transport changes which may delay your journey home.

If you test positive for COVID-19, you may need to stay where you are until you test negative. You may also need to seek treatment there.

Plan ahead and make sure you:

  • can access money
  • understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned

Travel in Japan

18 of Japan’s 47 prefectures (including Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto) are currently under States of Quasi-Emergency. A range of measures is in place, including restrictions on dining, school attendance and large-scale events.

Measures encouraging social distancing, mask-wearing and other basic precautions remain in place even in those prefectures which are not currently under State of (Quasi) Emergency. Some businesses may be closed, operating with reduced hours, and/or limiting visitor numbers.

A more restrictive State of Emergency, or other rules and controls, may be imposed at short notice. You should follow the instructions of your local authority.

Local authorities may also put in place special measures for natural disaster response, including additional evacuation locations and medical procedures. See Natural disasters for more information on general disaster preparedness in Japan.

Healthcare in Japan

For contact details of English speaking doctors visit our list of healthcare providers. For guidance on what to do if you think you may have COVID-19, please visit the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare website.

If you think you have COVID-19 symptoms, you should contact a COVID-19 Consultation Centre, who will direct you to a PCR testing centre. If you subsequently test positive for COVID-19, you will be contacted by the relevant public health centre. They will instruct you to self-isolate for 10 days at home, to move to a government-managed quarantine facility, or the most serious cases to stay in a hospital. Under-18s are not exempt from these requirements, though quarantine staff will contact their legal representatives.

If you are isolating at home and your symptoms become severe, you should contact the public health centre. They will advise you whether and how to seek medical treatment (you will be required to avoid public transport). They may send a car to transport you to a hotel or hospital.

If there is a possibility that your life is in danger at any stage, you should dial 119 and ask for an ambulance.

The Japan National Tourism Organisation has a 24 hour hotline (+81 50 3816-2787) which provides support and advice in English for visitors in Japan including on coronavirus. It has published relevant information and further external links (in English) including a guide to accessing medical facilities in Japan.

Your emotional and mental wellbeing is important. Read guidance on how to look after your mental wellbeing and mental health

View Health for further details on healthcare in Japan.

COVID-19 vaccines if you live in Japan

Wherever possible British nationals should aim to be vaccinated in the country where they live. We will update this page when the Government of Japan announces new information on the national vaccination programme. You can sign up to get email notifications when this page is updated.

The Japanese national vaccination programme started in February 2021 and is using the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca vaccines. British nationals resident in Japan are eligible for vaccination. Information regarding Japan’s COVID-19 vaccination programme is available in English on the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare (MHLW) website and also by telephone on +81 (0) 120-761770.

Find out more, including about vaccines that are authorised in the UK or approved by the World Health Organisation, on the COVID-19 vaccines if you live abroad webpage.

If you’re a British national living in Japan, you should seek medical advice from your local healthcare provider. Information about COVID-19 vaccines used in the national programme where you live, including regulatory status, should be available from local authorities.

Further information

The Japan Medical Association has a multilingual hotline (10am to 5pm) for foreign nationals who need advice related to coronavirus. The hotline number is +81 3-6233-9266. See more information on other multilingual coronavirus hotlines.

Many prefectures have published information on local services (some in English).

Tokyo has established a general purpose hotline (9am to 5pm) for foreign residents, providing advice on non-medical coronavirus-related issues, including some interpretation services. The hotline number is +81 120-296-004.

If you’re living in Japan, you can also check the Living in Japan guide from the British Embassy.

The Voice of America radio service in Japan (102 FM) also provides regular updates in English.

If you need urgent consular assistance, you should contact your local British embassy, high commission or consulate. All telephones numbers are available 24/7.